“Words – so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them.”- Nathaniel Hawthorne
Many people underestimate the power of words to create their reality and to impact the reality of others.
Think about it. Remember the last time you said, “This is going to be the worst day ever!” Were you right? Did you create a self-fulfilling prophecy? The odds are, you were and you did.
In previous blog posts, I’ve shared five words to eliminate from your vocabulary, whimpy words that take away your personal power, and filler words to eliminate from your communication.
This week, I’d like to share 20 words and phrases to add to your vocabulary this year that will not only give you power in your everyday interactions, but will help create a positive impact on all your relationships.
2. I can
3. I will
4. I know (instead of I think, I believe, etc.)
7. You’re welcome
8. I disagree (instead of you’re wrong)
9. I’ll find out (instead of I don’t know)
10. You’re right
12. How can I make this right?
13. I can help by _____ (provide specific things you’re willing to do and possibly to establish boundaries)
15. What can I do for you?
16. Because (I need you to do this because…provide rationale to help build understanding and buy in)
17. My strengths are. . . (instead of sharing your flaws and weaknesses as many of us do)
18. Today, I accomplished. . .
19. Tomorrow, my number one goal is. . .
20. I will succeed because. . .
What other words or phrases would you add to this list?