Love is in the air this week!
I was trying to think of a Valentine’s Day related post for this year and looked to previous years’ posts for inspiration and to avoid “reinventing the wheel” by inadvertently repeating it. Then I realized, the message from this 2012 post bears repeating.
I’m not much of a believer in all the mush, hype, and money that flows on Valentine’s Day.
However, I was reminded this week that simple acts, gestures, and words can make a difference in a person’s day.
I’ve been out of town this week. When I entered the elevator in my hotel this morning, there were two wet-haired, obviously freshly-showered business gents already on board.
Normally, I might smile and say good morning and am usually the first to do so.
(My daughter always tells me I’m weird because I’m always talking to strangers.)
However, this morning, I was greeted with an enthusiastic, “Happy Valentine’s Day!” from one gent. He proceeded to compliment my choice of red sweater … and that was that.
As I exited the elevator and headed to breakfast, I thought about the fact that he could have easily just ignored me, nodded, or just said, “good morning.” However, his enthusiastic greeting and well wishes still have me smiling– and became the theme for this blog post.
You don’t have to send a dozen roses to show some love today. A simple act of kindness, courtesy, or appreciation can set the tone for your day and someone else’s. Here are a dozen ideas to try.
1. Smile at someone, even when you don’t feel like it at the moment.
2. Express sincere appreciation to someone who goes “above and beyond.”
3. Express sincere appreciation to someone who just does what he or she was supposed to do– even your kids!
4. Tell a loved one WHY you love him or her.
5. Forgive someone who has wronged you.
6. Let go of grudges, they end up hurting the holder the most.
7. Be mindful of your tone when you speak- it says more than your words.
8. Fulfill your promises.
9. Even if you’re in a hurry, stop to help someone you see struggling.
10. Call or visit an elderly relative, single friend, or anyone else who might be lonely– especially today.
11. Make an extra donation to your favorite charity in honor of someone you love.
12. Pay for the person in line behind you at the coffee shop, toll booth, or wherever!